Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, December 24, 2012

THE BOYS ARE HERE!!!!

Sunday morning, at 33 weeks and 1 day, I woke up feeling "blah."  I ate breakfast at 9:30 then my snack at 11:30.  I noticed that the fetal movement of Baby A wasn't as much as it usually was.  I decided to lay down for a little bit to see if that would help.  I also drank some water because maybe I was just tired and dehydrated.

When I woke up about 30 minutes later, I was having back pain and cramping in addition to the lack of fetal movement.  I called Kaiser and they told me to go get examined at Holy Cross Hospital.  We arrived at Holy Cross just before 2 p.m.  When we got there, I started to have a few contractions in the waiting room, but nothing of any significance.  They took me back to triage, and hooked me up to the fetal monitors.  Both heart beats looked great, but the doctor became concerned because contractions were appearing on the monitor, and I was having more than 4 in one hour.  The doctor decided to order a bag of fluids, thinking that would help get rid of the contractions.  I was so dehydrated that my veins had collapsed.  They had to poke me 4 times before they were able to finally find a vein. 

The fluids started, but the contractions did not go away.  Infact, they intensified.  The doctor came down to check my cervix to see if I was dilated.  He said I was dilated 2 cm.  As he was checking my cervix, he accidentally broke the water of Baby A.  He said the head was right there, and the water breaking couldn't have been prevented.

They gave me antibiotics and a steroid shot to help mature the lungs of the babies.  They were hoping to have me go another 12 hours so I could get a second steroid shot.  So they packed me up, and transferred me to a Labor and Delivery room.  The contractions intensified, and the anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural. 

After the epidural was inserted, I wound up having to hit the "button" a few times to give me more medicine as the initial dose wasn't working.  About 1 hour after I was transferred from triage to L&D, the doctor decided to check my cervix.  I was dilated to a 9!  It was go time!  They quickly prepped the operating room and got me ready for my c-section.

At 8:55 and 8:56 p.m. the boys were born!  They are beautiful and seem to be doing well.  It wasn't what we expected, but obviously there was another plan for them!  We were hoping to get to at least 35 weeks....but they have a mind of their own!








1 comment:

  1. They look so beautiful. I can't wait to get over this cold so I can some see them :) I'm so excited for you and Troy :)

    ReplyDelete